Ridiculously Easy Red Beans & Rice
A Vegan Twist on a Nawlins Classic
* Inspiration: I found the weirdest thing in a kitchen cabinet the other day… TVP!
TVP stands for Textured Vegetable Protein and is basically dehydrated defatted soy flour and is a good meat substitute because it has no fat. I had never cooked with TVP before but it caught my eye at the grocery store and i decided to give it a whirl. It ended up being a really easy and pretty delicious new house fave!
Since I had never cooked with TVP before I decided to check out the Bob’s Red Mill website for some recipe help and this Red Beans and Rice recipe was my inspiration.
Here is my limited-college-kid-kitchen version:
What You Need:
- 2 Cans of any kind of beans you want (they dont actually have to be red- I went with Kidney Beans)
- I Onion
- 2 Medium Tomatoes
- 6 Cloves of Garlic
- 3 Cups of Water
- 2 Cups of TVP
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin
- Cayenne Pepper To Taste
- Red Pepper Flakes To Taste
- Cajun Seasonings
- 2 Cups Brown Rice
- Dice the Onion, Tomatoes, and Garlic while bringing water to a boil. After the water reaches a rolling boil, add the diced veggies and let boil until tender.
- In a separate pot begin cooking your rice.
- Reduce heat and add Beans, TVP, and Seasonings. Cook for about 15 min.
- Mix cooked rice and beans together
DINNER IS READY!